The Hummer has been on the ground since the early 1980s. Its design, strength and performance were coined with a clear intention: it had to replace the traditional US Army Jeep, vital in any military campaign by land. But this new vehicle had to be the spearhead when it comes to 4 × 4 technology.
Most people first saw the Hummer that looked like a tank in 1990, in the desert campaigns of the Persian Gulf War. This vehicle is called "Humvee" which means "High Mobility Multipurpose Vehicule", and the superiority of its four wheels was immediately recognized. But at that time civilians did not have access to its wonders. In 1992 it was placed on the market after checking its efficiency, strength and power. But for this animal to be able to park in its owners' extensive garages, its appearance needed to be humanized, turning it into a huge all-terrain limousine. The result was released in 1992 with diesel and gasoline engines, with three and four-speed automatic gearboxes. Some were quick to say that the Hummer (vehicle's trade name) was superior in this field than the Range Rover.
The specific civilian sector targeted by the Hummer campaign targets men who are not afraid to take risks and who are millionaires. In fact, Vanity Fair magazine revealed in 1999 that the Hummer had become a status symbol among New York Stockbrokers. Insurance companies offer policies for these vehicles that exceed premiums of $ 89,000, almost the same as one from the dealer. Studies found on fan sites on the Internet indicate that only 10% of Hummer buyers go out into the field with their vehicles. This makes us think about what the other 90% of users do with their investment.
Such an extravagant combination of engineering, physics and even chemistry stands out over any other model that is sold in the market, which represents 15 cm above any other SUV that is currently produced. To remember their military family, these machines resist the impact of some bombs dropped from airplanes, can wade through rivers up to 1 m deep and cross brick walls without much difficulty.